How often do you play your old console games?

LostLuggage

• 3 weeks later...

I play the games on PC emulators and PS Vita quite a bit (I love the PS1 era), but the consoles themselves are sitting in a glass trophy cabinet with some games.

I wouldn't be game enough to try playing Super Mario All Stars or Yoshi's Island on my SNES today; the cartridge will not hold a save for very long (I think it might rely on a small battery) and I don't want my progress being erased.

• 2 weeks later...

I have all my old games systems currently hooked up. I have a dedicated game room for this, so clutter that was previously mentioned is not an issue for me. I play the NES most frequently, although lately I have been playing a good amount of SNES and PS1. I've tried emulation, it just doesn't feel the same. I can't articulate why it feels that way, for me it just does.

I think it feels different because on emulators it's not the same look as a tv. And there's also lag. And if you try playing retro on an HD TV there's always gonna be a little lag. Even on the new games. Almost every time I boot up guitar hero live I have to recalibrate it 2 or 3 times with the auto feature to fix it

• 1 month later...

I am about to 120 stars super mario 64 on n64 beat it on virtual console first two years ago. I wanted to play beat the real thing I am planning on playing the legend of zelda majora's mask after purchased a gold hori n64 controller for the occasion.

that is quite an accomplishment in Mario64. collecting all 100 coins can be a real chore in some of those levels. and that fucking penguin slide. i don't know how i beat that in 1996, but i sure can't in 2016.

Only emulators now, and quite often. All my old systems are long gone except for my Nintendo DS, Game Cube, Wii and my Xbox One. Other than emulators on my Mac, the battery in my DS is dead so its a pain to sit in front of an outlet and play it, the Game Cube and Wii are both in a storage unit so I can't even play those, Xbox is the only one still active.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my original systems all hooked into a tv for my kids to play now. I solved the game problem by building a draw system on the wall around the tv and shelving for the systems. They love Duck Hunt, Mario, donkey king country, Duck Tales, Link and so many more that I loved as a kid....plus they are not all blood and gore. If I turned out ok on the classics maybe they will too. Nothing like playing the real thing with the old controls in your hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much anymore. I just got an HDTV for the first time about a year ago and due to space reasons had to get rid of my trusty rusty CRT. I did pick up a Retron 5 though and have been using that for my retro needs for now. I guess I'll probably look into up scaling and rgb soon because I would really like to play some Saturn and 64.

• 3 months later...

My old systems are all in Texas at the moment along with all my old carts and CDs, so I'm having to rely on the emulators on my laptop whenever I feel the need for some retro action...which isn't too bad I guess seeing as my laptop + HDTV = the ultimate video game machine I always dreamed about as a kid.  Still, nothing can take the place of the feel of actual cartridges loaded in a genuine machine using brand controllers on an old school CRT TV with zero input or display lag.

I am currently rediscovering my old consoles after years of having them stashed away and currently started working on some backlog 20+ years in the making. Just got a frammeister and bought a 20inch Sony PVM CRT monitor. The emulation scene has felt a bit empty since then. Even the hassle of hooking a system up seems like a joy! Don't know how long the (second) honeymoon will last. :)

So these last few months I have been playing a few hours during weekends. Currently playing Earthbound (barely touched the game/big box in the past) and doing some 2p stuff with my younger brother like Zombies ate my neighbours, Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Pocky and Rocky.

Just great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a game room with many of my classic systems (NES, Genesis/SMS using power base converter, Sega CD, SuperNES, N64, Saturn, and Jaguar) hooked up to a 13" color television. I haven't played in there recently but I always prefer playing original verse emulation. It doesn't feel the same. With emulation there are occasional issues with graphics or sound.

Though I do admit that I recently found that the Nvidia Shield tablet with controller makes for a decent way to play old games anywhere.

Older games generally don't look good on bigger televisions or monitors so running these things on an old 13" television or the 9" tablet makes them appear crisp rather than pixelated.

I will admit I almost always prefer setting game systems up and then tinkering in the game room endlessly just happy to surround myself in the aura of old videogames but then I generally have a short attention span when sitting down to actually play the classics.

What would probably help me play more is if I had someone to play with. That's probably the part of playing games I miss most is sitting on the couch and playing with a friend.

In the era of online play this is something that has been lost. Sitting around the TV with a 4 player adapter with bomberman

• 3 weeks later...

I don't enjoy current games as much as the classics.  Final Fantasy, for example, moved from that medieval theme to that technology hybrid thing.  Many credit Final Fantasy 7 as the best FF.  I consider to be the pivot point where the series declined.  I leave my nes and my ps2 connected to my tv.

• 1 month later...

I don't enjoy current games as much as the classics.  Final Fantasy, for example, moved from that medieval theme to that technology hybrid thing.  Many credit Final Fantasy 7 as the best FF.  I consider to be the pivot point where the series declined.  I leave my nes and my ps2 connected to my tv.

I don't think the downfall of Final Fantasy is so much the result of ditching medieval fantasy as it is the overemphasis on cinematic cutscenes, extreme linearity, and abandoning the turn-based combat system. The new games are totally unrecognizable gameplay-wise. That, and the endless spin-offs and side games have really watered down the brand name. Did we really need a Final Fantasy fighting game, rhythm-based music game, basketball game, Mario Kart clone, etc., etc.? Remember when Squaresoft used to constantly have new IPs like Bushido Blade, Parasite Eve, Einhander, Tobal No.1, and didn't run the Final Fantasy brand into the ground?

• 1 month later...