PC Gamer (USA)

kitsunebi

Just wondering if there is any chance of PC Gamer getting scanned at some point? The Computer Gaming World Museum is an amazing resource, including the complete run of the magazine...and yet PC Gamer, CGW's main competetor (and in my opinion, the better of the two), remains almost completely unscanned (well, anything old enough to be kosher here, anyway). Lack of interest? Resources?

• Retromags Curator

Probably size. *chuckle* :)

I've got a number of issues of this beast from its late-90s heyday, and scanning a magazine and keeping it all orderly becomes a nightmare when you get into the 300+ page counts PC Gamer was known for circa 1997. Heck, I've indexed a couple of issues for the site and just listing everything in the magazine is exhausting. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Plus it's still being produced so this site has a fairly nasty cut-off date too. :-)

I've scanned a few issues which are available over at my website but I don't have many issues or they'd be high on my priority list for sure. I used to have a complete run of these from 1 - 85 or thereabouts but threw them out due to some shenanigans here a long time ago. Sigh!!!

And yeah .... some issues were huge!!!!!

It started over 20 years ago and it's really the 90s issues I'm most interested in anyway, so I'm not so concerned about the cutoff date.

Kiwiarcader, do you mind telling me where I can find your website that you mentioned? I have tons of old PC Gamers but they're all boxed up in long-term storage (in another country no less) so I haven't been able to access them in years. I'm dying to get ahold of digital copies of any that I can.

• 1 month later...

I've done two issues so far and I'll try to knock out another one or two this month, but then I'll be done for a while since I'm in the process of moving.

May/June 1994 Issue (premiere issue)

May 1996 issue

My copy of #1 was badly damaged so I need to get another copy to rescan the cover and inside ad (both of which were reconstructed using images from pcmuseum.ca and the cgw museum and at least the cover absolutely needs to be redone). Hopefully y'all find them fun to flip through. I try to annotate some comments on pages that have notable issues over on imgur. I'll fix pgs 104-105 when I get a replacement copy...then I'll just pull this copy apart and get a clean scan of those pages (and a few others where they played fast and loose with the printing margains).

I had zero interest in trying to do another full issue, but I owe it to a friend to finish off the Nov '95 issue (Shadows Over Riva on the cover, some killer articles and reviews inside) and for poops and smiles, I'll probably do the August '94 edition after that (it's short and I've already done a significant chunk of it while picking and chosing articles).

• Like 3

Awesome, roushimsx! I used to own that first issue and then years ago foolishly ripped it apart, saving only certain articles "in order to save space." (Thankfully sanity reasserted itself before I destroyed any of the rest of my PC Gamers.)

Your scan also answered a burning question that I've had for years: what was PC Gamer's predecessor? I recall having a subscription to something which was canceled, and my remaining subscription was then transfered over to PC Gamer, but I couldn't remember the name of the mag. Turns out it was Game Player's PC Entertainment (which isn't listed on this site). I'd love to get ahold of any issues of that as well, since I apparently tossed all of those back in the day.

• Retromags Curator

I acquired another four issues of the USA version in an auction recently. Dates for these are Apr & Dec '99 and Jan & Dec '97.

One weighs in at a massive 448 pages. OMG ......

I'm guessing that 448-page behemoth is the December '97 issue? That would put it right on par with the November '97 issue which is also 448 pages. :)

I have five issues of Game Player's PC Entertainment in my collection (Nov/Dec 92, 1992 Buyer's Guide, Jan/Feb 93, May/June 93, and July/August 93), and you can kind of see the evolution towards PC Gamer, but you have to squint a bit. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 1 month later...

I've done two issues so far and I'll try to knock out another one or two this month, but then I'll be done for a while since I'm in the process of moving.

May/June 1994 Issue (premiere issue)

May 1996 issue

My copy of #1 was badly damaged so I need to get another copy to rescan the cover and inside ad (both of which were reconstructed using images from pcmuseum.ca and the cgw museum and at least the cover absolutely needs to be redone). Hopefully y'all find them fun to flip through. I try to annotate some comments on pages that have notable issues over on imgur. I'll fix pgs 104-105 when I get a replacement copy...then I'll just pull this copy apart and get a clean scan of those pages (and a few others where they played fast and loose with the printing margains).

I had zero interest in trying to do another full issue, but I owe it to a friend to finish off the Nov '95 issue (Shadows Over Riva on the cover, some killer articles and reviews inside) and for poops and smiles, I'll probably do the August '94 edition after that (it's short and I've already done a significant chunk of it while picking and chosing articles).

Wow. That May 96 issue is about VR "finally" hitting the market. There's even an ad for a consumer-level VR headset for gaming on the first page. History might have taken a different turn if those headsets actually took off. Amazing to read and think about.

Thanks for the scan!

Ahh .... my bad ... it is actually the Nov 97 issue I have. Duke Nukem cover. The Dec 99 issue also had Duke and I somehow mixed the months. Doh!!!

I will scan this behemoth as soon as I get the courage up to debind the issue. It's going to be one BIG pdf file methinks ....

So you don't have the Dec 97 issue? I have it right beside me and it's 457 pages. My stack paper cutter can only handle 400 sheets! I guess I'll have to just take a knife down the center and then debind the two halves? I also have the Jan 98 issue, which is 385 pages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

"Win a job at Ion Storm!"

I want to track down the person who won this contest and get the full story of what all went down with THAT. I guess the major qualifier would be, did you win a job at the arm of Ion Storm responsible for Daikatana, or did you win a job at the arm of Ion Storm responsible for Deus Ex? Because methinks the final story would be quite different depending on where that contest landed you. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Issues 178 and 191 have been scanned. Issue 178 is available over at OGM but 191 is subject to date restrictions. At least it's scanned for the day we can make it available....

Has anyone got copies of issues dated Jan and Feb 2003 that they can scan the cover and inside advert for me? Mine are missing. If I can get these I will scan and make the issues available.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got copies of issues dated Jan and Feb 2003 that they can scan the cover and inside advert for me? Mine are missing. If I can get these I will scan and make the issues available.

I have these at my parent's house. I will be there for USA Thanksgiving in a couple weeks and will be able to scan them if you still need them.

• Like 2