PC Gamer (USA)

kitsunebi

I have a Fujitsu FI-5650c and marktrade has it's newer brother the FI-6670. Google them if you want bill-shock. LOL

They do 60 pages a minute duplex so that's 120 images per minute so in theory you could scan most mags in under two minutes. They use ISIS drivers rather than TWAIN so with software like Quickscan Pro you can create a profile for a particular magazine format then simply use the same profile for every issue. That's what I do. I create a profile that chops pretty much 1mm off each edge so there's even no real editing involved at all unless the issue is skewed more than minimally or you choose to get fussy. Voila, a magazine in 5 to 10 mins if you get a rhythm going :)

HOLY CRAP!

Um...no, I don't think I need one of those. Unless they start handing them out for free, that is.

On more of the consumer end of things - does anybody have experience with the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500? I just ordered one from amazon a few minutes ago (arrives tomorrow with free standard shipping - gotta love living in a small country.) Doesn't have TWAIN or ISIS drivers (which I've never heard of till you mentioned them). Dunno how big a problem that will be...I don't have any scanning software anyway, and do all of my editing in Photoshop. Maybe it's a complete waste of money, I don't know. It seems well reviewed, but I imagine most people are using it for different purposes. Regardless, I can't justify spending over $4000 on a scanner, so the ones you mentioned are out of the question.

The iX500 is a great little unit IF your mags are A4 size or smaller. Jason over at my site uses one for those smaller sized mags and he pumps them out fast with it which saves wear and tear on his A3 scanner.

If you need A3 you can always look on eBay for something like a FI-5530c2. You can pick one of those up for a reasonable price and they also use ISIS drivers for corporate volume document scanning.

If the mags you intend scanning are 2008 or earlier but don't fit in with Retromags content let me know as I could make them available over at OGM if they're vaguely gaming culture oriented and aren't likely to attract C&D's :).

Near as I can tell, all Japanese game mags that I've run across are A4 in width.

I've got around 70 issues of Famitsu, a couple of Dengeki Playstations, and an issue of Family Computer Magazine. Of course, I've gotten all of those in the past two weeks, so there's no telling what I'll end up with before I grow bored with checking out Yahoo auctions...

I wouldn't mind them going up anywhere that's interested in having them. If Retromags wants them, they're welcome to them (once the database gets updated to allow it). Or if not, your site is welcome to them as well (I've downloaded god knows how much from your site, so anything I can give back, I will.) I noticed marktrade's stuff goes up at both sites. That would be OK with me too.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm finishing up edits on a scan of a reprint of Famitsu #1 from June 20, 1986. After that, hopefully the ScanSnap will make future scans a bit quicker., even if I never approach you guys' level of efficiency.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, now that it's possible to upload PC Gamer to the download manager here at Retromags, I've uploaded my scan of issue 9 as well as three scans from KiwiArcader converted to CBR from his PDFs hosted at OldGameMags.com and have updated the database accordingly with official Retromags links properly credited to KiwiArcader. :)

• Like 2

I'm still working through getting two boxes of PC Gamer (USA) mags over from the USA. My brother has been out of State on work business quite a lot in the last few weeks so it's going slow but I hope to have shipping costs from him soon. If I can afford it I'll get both shipped at the same time. If I can't afford it hopefully I can get one shipped over which will allow me to start scanning them in bulk seeing as it along with CGW are my two fave PC magazines. Oh ahh!!! .... must scan another CGW soon ......

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello I have the following PC GAMER issues that are currently marked missing (not sure if the statuses are up to date)

September 1996

November 1998

December 1998

February 1999

October 1999

If anyone is interested, I am willing to mail these magazines to anyone (in the USA) who wants to scan them. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...