What games deserve a sequel?

ctophil

Well, I'm sure there are games out there you guys want a sequel to all these years, but we are still tapping our fingers on the desk for one. Here is my list of games that need to have a sequel. It can be part of a series that they haven't continued for many years.

1. Wild Arms Series - This is just a fantastic JRPG series. But unfortunately, we haven't seen a new sequel since Wild Arms 5 for PS2. I'm still playing through the series, but at least a mention of a new sequel would be nice. This series fit in the same league as Final Fantasy, Lunar, and Suikoden. Sony, are you listening?

2. Actraiser - Sure, this game was in the remake thread. But it's such a good game that it needs a proper sequel. Actraiser 2 for SNES didn't really count because it was somewhat a different game. I guess since we already have an Actraiser 2, Actraiser 3 would be just as good.

:-)

3. Altered Beast - I don't really care if people didn't like this game. It was just awesome when I played Altered Beast back in the day and even these days. There was a sequel called Project Altered Beast for PS2, but it was a sorry 3D game not even worth mentioning. Sega needs to make a sequel we would be proud of.

4. Lunar Series - I don't really need a remake per say, but a sequel in the mainline series (i.e. Lunar 3) would be incredible. Gamearts did talk about a Lunar 3 like 10 years ago, but it never came into fruition. I love that series just as much as Suikoden. They need to hurry up. lol.

5. Suikoden series - Similar to the Lunar series, I do want this series to continue its legacy into the new generation. Imagine a military vs military battle of millions of soldiers screaming on the screen in full 60 fps! Woohoo. That would be epic to the extreme.

6. Final Fantasy Tactics - Geez, it's been such a long time since this game came out. Yet, Square Enix hasn't even talked about a sequel. I think it would be a mega seller if they would release a sequel to this game. I guess they would rather port the mainline series to numerous cell phones and devices instead of focusing on their great heritage.

7. Vandal Hearts Series - They released a side story sequel for PS3 back in 2010 called Vandal Hearts: Flame of Judgement. It was a digital-only title. Yeah, the game was pretty good, but we need a true sequel. Guys, if you are a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics, this is the second best strategy series of all time.

8. Wizards & Warriors series - If you know me, you already know I like this series for the NES and Game Boy. But they really need to put this on a modern system with an upgraded game engine, but still in 2D. I don't care, release it as a digital-only title. That would still be sweet.

9. Lagoon - Alright, so hardly anybody knows about this game. But you know what? It was a nice little action RPG game. I still like it a lot and own a beautiful mint condition copy. It would be cool if they would ever release a sequel for this one. I would pre-order it in a heartbeat.

10. Double Dragon series - Yeah boy, I need an official Double Dragon IV right now. Hint: Double Dragon V fighting game didn't count. And make it with 32-bit 2D graphics similar to the NES games but with all new characters (but include the brothers), goofy girlfriend storyline, and crazy acrobatic moves.

11. Golden Axe series - Alright, enough with the goofy remakes and sequels, we need a real Golden Axe 4. Sega has such a rich history, but they keep doing Sonic 3D games and stuff people don't care about. Below are some more Sega games that need sequels real badly.

12. Phantasy Star series - Yep, another Sega JRPG classic series that they haven't gone back to the original formula for decades. Phantasy Star 4 was a big hit, but they stopped it since the Genesis days. We do need a sci-fi JRPG for our modern times. I'm starving for one, how about you?

13. Shining Force series - Another great strategy series they have ignored for so long. I enjoyed Shining Force 3 very much. I would say it stands at 3rd place after Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics, as far as strategy games are concerned.

• 4 months later...

I would have loved to see a remake or sequel to Conker's Bad Fur Day. Yes, it was a stupid game but I loved it when it came out. I believe it was only on N64. Either way, it had a bit of humor in it that just make me laugh every time I played it.

• Retromags Curator

Conker got himself an update on the Xbox with "Live and Reloaded", and a sequel ("Conker's Big Reunion") which was just released this past April as a part of the "Project Spark" game/development tool on the XBOne, so...wish granted, JoeyBean! :)

*huggles*
Areala

Conker got himself an update on the Xbox with "Live and Reloaded", and a sequel ("Conker's Big Reunion") which was just released this past April as a part of the "Project Spark" game/development tool on the XBOne, so...wish granted, JoeyBean! :)

*huggles*

Areala

Wow I didn't know that! I remember playing this with my cousin and it was hilarious. Her mother didn't know she rented us a mature game either which made it even funnier when she walked in on the flower with the big boobs hahaha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am such a Hugh fan of street fighter 2010 the final fight sadly I don't think that game had even a cult following. Legend of Zelda 2 gaming mechanics for nes needs a sequel,I would love 2d side scrolling while seeing links sword shoot that famous beam shit that other games replaced with the new hurricane spin.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna go with PC games. I NEED another Wing Commander game. I love the space sim genre and Wing Commander games are worth playing for the storyline alone.

On a related note, now that Star Wars is respectable again, I would love to see another game in the X-Wing/Tie Fighter space sim franchise. Not as big on storyline as Wing Commander, but the gameplay is top notch.

I'm waiting for a new Chrono game. We got Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and now nothing. For one of the greats of the 16 bit era, it's gotten very little love other than in re-releases of the original game. Even Cross hasn't seen a re-release, which was a great game as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

I would loved a Jakal from konami sequel but not now, it should have happened in the 16 bit days.

Today's konami don't know how to make oldschool games.

They not only don't know how, they don't even care. The market in Japan for console video games is actually drying up, and is now far, far weaker than the western market. Japan has gone whole hog for the app-based mobile gaming market, with phone and tablet-based games kicking the hell out of every TV-based console over there.

Rather than tread water or risk obsolescence, Konami has decided to jump on the mobile gaming bandwagon and basically shuttered their home console division. It would not surprise me in the least to see a bunch of high-profile Japanese developers show up in the US so they can continue making the kinds of games they want to make for the audience that wants to play them.

Twenty years ago, North American gamers griped about all the Japanese titles that never got released here. Wouldn't it be funny if in another few years, we started seeing Japanese gamers complaining about the trend in the other direction? :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I'm going to contribute to this thread in a more serious fashion with my wants and desires for remakes/sequels:

The Guardian Legend - I've wanted to see this game remade/updated for years. It's such a perfect blend of action, adventure, and overhead shooter, like somebody crossed Legend of Zelda with LIfe Force and Metroid. But I don't want it done in 3D. Keep it 2D, in the vein of Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night, not Metroid Prime or Castlevania 64.

Jackal - I didn't even think about this until metroid up there mentioned it, but holy cow, they've made a million Contra games and somehow forgot about this one? How did this not get at least one sequel in the Genesis/SNES era?

Alundra - The closest PS1 owners ever came to getting a Zelda game. It's an awesome puzzle-based action/adventure hybrid featuring a main character who hops into other peoples' dreams in order to sort out their problems. I loved this game and to this day I'm floored why nothing else ever came of it. Hello, it's about a character who enters the dream world. That right there is your excuse to do whatever the heck you want with your level design. Make the real world all traditional and stuff, but anything goes in a dream, which means the sky's the limit in terms of puzzles, setting, and storyline.

Actraiser - ctophil mentioned this in his post, but it's worth repeating, because that first game was awesome as hell, and the sequel is one of the most disappointing things I've played in my life. It wasn't a bad game, it was just half the game I was expecting since they stripped out all the simulation (and thus all the story) aspects which made the original so unique. Actraiser III with sim and action sequences, please, Square-Enix? Maybe take a break from cranking out awful Final Fantasy side-stories, sequels, pseudo-sequels, and MMORPGs and work on this for a year or so?

Hunter: The Reckoning - First of all, can I complain about the absurdity of releasing an entire trilogy of games for one property during a single console generation that required a fan to own at least two of the three major consoles in order to get the whole story? Hunter: The Reckoning started out on the Xbox before being ported to the GameCube six months later. The sequel Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward was a PS2 exclusive, and Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer was an Xbox-only title. Why this happened, I have no idea--the games were all developed by the same studio, and it seems absurd to ignore releasing two of the games for the best-selling console of that generation, and likewise give the finger to Xbox owners by telling them to buy a PS2 if they want to play the second game, and take a gigantic dump on GameCube owners who picked up the first but had no way of finishing up the story. Seriously, High Voltage Studios, what the hell happened here? Hunter: The Reckoning is one of the best uses of a White Wolf license, and the easiest to develop for because it doesn't star supernatural or paranormal creatures as protagonists. The main characters are all humans, albeit ones with enhanced abilities, but while they're powerful they're nowhere near the one-on-one equal of a vampire or werewolf. The Hunter games all made teamwork an important aspect of the gameplay, and we've seen how well this can work in modern-day games with similar ideas such as Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. Give me a Hunter: The Reckoning I can play online with three friends, and I will shower your game studio with enough cash that you could use it to insulate your house. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Throw in another vote for a proper Actraiser sequel. I've mentioned the original game to my buddy as a good candidate for an upcoming episode of our podcast; it's one of my favorite games for the SNES. That game inspired me to imagine another type of cross-over game that sounded incredibly cool: Sim City / Final Fight. How awesome would it be to design a functional city - placing parks, police stations, houses, zoos, etc. - and then zoom down into that same city to personally beat up the criminals who infest it? I mean why not, in Final Fight Haggar is actually the city mayor!!! I questioned why we never got a game like this until I got older and realized that the demographics that would be served by the crossover of such disparate genres would consist of myself and..... ...Idunno, myself?

SHADOWRUN. The SNES version. I want that sequel yesterday.

CRACKDOWN. An ACTUAL sequel. Not a re-release of the first game with half the content missing.

STARFLIGHT. One of the best games ever made, and the only available sequel is an obscure ancient proto-DOS game or something. I demand a sequel / remake this instant!

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS. A sequel wouldn't make much sense for reasons that I won't explain, but I still want another game that lets me take down a bunch more colossi. God, this game was a work of art.

WRESTLING MPRE. A super-indie, super-ugly wrestling game that somehow manages to be the most addicting and immersive simulation of the business ever made. Work your way up from the scrub leagues, deal with disreputable promoters, negotiate your salary and creative control, sell out for promotional deals, take steroids, compete in memorial shows after fellow wrestlers die in car accidents... This game has it all! It looks like crap and controls kind of wonky so a modern sequel (or much more polished remake) would be a wrestling fan's dream.

RIVER CITY RANSOM. Because it's River City Ransom! Mercilessly pummel all-white gang members, watch them barf, take their coins, and hear the lamentations of their women!

CHRONO TRIGGER. I mean duh, right?

NESTER'S FUNKY BOWLING. Because I'm curious to see if you're actually reading this.

SILENT HILL. Remember when this series was brilliance for like two and a half games? Let's make another one that's good!

CLASH AT DEMONHEAD. One of the NES' most original, ambitious, and underrated titles.

TIMESPLITTERS. Because two fast, wild, hilarious, immensely satisfying shooter masterpieces is not enough!

RED DEAD REDEMPTION. A nun gave me a holy trinket for performing honorable deeds so I hogtied her, laid her on the railroad tracks and watched the train splatter her into a million innocent giblets. And I got an achievement for it. MORE!!!

OMIKRON: THE NOMAD SOUL. The marketing for sci-fi adventure game Omikron made it sound as if the gameplay revolved around the ability to jump into the first random NPC to cross your path when you died, creating an experience of perpetual unpredictability and nonlinear exploration. This wasn't the case, but the game DID have David Bowie. I WANT THE REBIRTH OF OMIKRON, AND I WANT THE REBIRTH OF DAVID BOWIE!!!

Wow, I thought I was the only one who ever advocated for this game.

Ha, I know the feeling. I rented it when I was 11 or 12 and loved it enough to save up for my own copy, one of the few games that I was able to purchase for myself as a kid. When I read that the band in "Scott Pilgrim Vs The World" (which I haven't seen) is named The Clash At Demonhead I thought "Oh my god, I can't believe that anyone else has ever heard of that game, let alone liked it enough to make a pointed reference to it in a film".

It was a good one, wasn't it? The ability to choose your routes, shop for various weapons and ability suits, fight all kinds of eccentric bosses. That game had a lot going for it. Great music too.

Jackal - I didn't even think about this until metroid up there mentioned it, but holy cow, they've made a million Contra games and somehow forgot about this one? How did this not get at least one sequel in the Genesis/SNES era?

Yes, sometimes i think that i'm the only one that remembers this game.

Imagine in the 16 bit days konami would still have the talent, the graphics with parallax, bigger bosses, more collors and a kickass soundtrack.

Basically what they did with contra and castlevania, it would have been awesome.

Alundra - The closest PS1 owners ever came to getting a Zelda game. It's an awesome puzzle-based action/adventure hybrid featuring a main character who hops into other peoples' dreams in order to sort out their problems. I loved this game and to this day I'm floored why nothing else ever came of it. Hello, it's about a character who enters the dream world. That right there is your excuse to do whatever the heck you want with your level design. Make the real world all traditional and stuff, but anything goes in a dream, which means the sky's the limit in terms of puzzles, setting, and storyline.

*huggles*

Areala

Oh yes, Jackal was an awesome coop game. I can remember exactly who I played and beaten the game with. It was so much fun. It was kinda like Commando and Ikari Warriors, except with Jeeps and not as repetitious. Great choice! I have to put it on my list of games to get, which is HUGE list. LOL.

Alundra is also another favorite. But unfortunately, I let somebody borrow it back in the day, and it never got returned. :( Oh well, I'll get another copy someday.

Throw in another vote for a proper Actraiser sequel. I've mentioned the original game to my buddy as a good candidate for an upcoming episode of our podcast; it's one of my favorite games for the SNES. That game inspired me to imagine another type of cross-over game that sounded incredibly cool: Sim City / Final Fight. How awesome would it be to design a functional city - placing parks, police stations, houses, zoos, etc. - and then zoom down into that same city to personally beat up the criminals who infest it? I mean why not, in Final Fight Haggar is actually the city mayor!!! I questioned why we never got a game like this until I got older and realized that the demographics that would be served by the crossover of such disparate genres would consist of myself and..... ...Idunno, myself?

CLASH AT DEMONHEAD. One of the NES' most original, ambitious, and underrated titles.

I own a beautiful copy of Actraiser. I played it again last year, and it's still amazing after all these years. The graphics, sound, and gameplay were just top-notch. It may sound kinda weird, but I would put my ear next to the TV speakers back then to listen to the mini orchestra playing in the SNES. I was like, "How in the world can this system chunk out music like a CD player?" LOL.

Clash at Demonhead was so cool! I remember renting it for the weekend. I only played video games on the weekends at the time due to school. It was a fantastic side-scroller with some nice music to boot!

• Like 1

I own a beautiful copy of Actraiser. I played it again last year, and it's still amazing after all these years. The graphics, sound, and gameplay were just top-notch. It may sound kinda weird, but I would put my ear next to the TV speakers back then to listen to the mini orchestra playing in the SNES. I was like, "How in the world can this system chunk out music like a CD player?" LOL.

Clash at Demonhead was so cool! I remember renting it for the weekend. I only played video games on the weekends at the time due to school. It was a fantastic side-scroller with some nice music to boot!

Actraiser had one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming. It was one of the first and best examples of the power and richness of the SNES' audio capabilities. I feel that that, F-Zero and Final Fantasy II were the system's first major "sound" games.

I loved Demonhead's soundtrack. So much so that about a decade ago I tracked down an amazing remix of my favorite stage that an independent musician had done. First, reacquaint yourself with the first 50 seconds of the official track:

Now turn your volume to a comfortable level and listen to this. What this artist was able to do with that tune is just awesome.

http://vurez.com/tracks/arrangements/Vurez_-_Ride_to_Demonhead.mp3

Ha, I know the feeling. I rented it when I was 11 or 12 and loved it enough to save up for my own copy, one of the few games that I was able to purchase for myself as a kid. When I read that the band in "Scott Pilgrim Vs The World" (which I haven't seen) is named The Clash At Demonhead I thought "Oh my god, I can't believe that anyone else has ever heard of that game, let alone liked it enough to make a pointed reference to it in a film".

It was a good one, wasn't it? The ability to choose your routes, shop for various weapons and ability suits, fight all kinds of eccentric bosses. That game had a lot going for it. Great music too.

I think I got mine for Christmas one year when I was about the same age. It was indeed a good one. I never finished it as a kid, it wasn't until several years later that I beat it.

I loved the map system, but I think it's the main reason why some dislike the game. It can be confusing, getting to the end of a route leads to a choice of what route to take next. Some routes have dead ends, which I believe many people avoided, but they were essential because they had important characters or items to discover.

I have so many fond memories of the game, I tempted to fire it up right now. lol

• Like 1