Question Re: Dedicated Servers

8bitguru

Hey everybody,

I apologize if this is a really stupid question, but I was wondering about how the unlimited downloading from the new servers worked for those who had donated? I ask this because I'm still seeing download links that take me to file hosting sites prompting to pay for a "premium download" and I thought the goal of the dedicated servers was to remove dependence upon such hosting serves after experiencing past troubles in using such with them shutting down.

Are files still going to be hosted exclusively via those download sites, or are we getting a regulated direct download option as well? I don't mean to sound critical at all, I just don't think I understand at all and I suspect Phillyman is busy and thus can't respond to PMs so i thought I would pose my question here.

Please be patient with me, I'm kind of new here and am not trying to be a pest.

Thanks!

• Retromags Curator

Hey 8BitGuru,

At the moment we are in a transitional period. Retromags has just moved over to our brand new shiny dedicated server. We just flushed out all the old (invalid) download links from our Download Manager (community.retromags.com/files) and are about to start a mass upload of files back to Retromags. Before we start the upload, we want to just verify that we are uploading the most current and correct versions of everything. This is one of the reasons I am also designing a Retromags file auditing program, to keep track of what is new and what is old. One day very soon, you will just see hundreds of downloadable magazines, in the mean time.....most of everything is still available with the download links in our Magazine Database....thru FileFactory.

-Rob

• Retromags Curator

To add to this, FileFactory seems to pay for itself with the amount of people that use it. So I may keep it on as a secondary means to download magazines. Anyone who donated, will have direct access to the magazines via Retromags and will not have to use FileFactory. I am also looking into a credits system, where if users are active on the forums, upload missing covers, index magazines or scan magazines themselves......that they also would be able to download a certain amount of files directly from us daily/weekly/monthy.