marktrade's work in progress

marktrade

• Retromags Curator

They're all kinds of funny bitter references to their demise in the final issue. I meant the part where they said they don't give a shit if we scan and distribute issues of PC Accelerator. It's like they knew we were going to be here someday preserving it, hoping we would.

They don't care, but the company that bought Imagine Media, which is Future PLC, might. Though so far they haven't cared either. And hopefully it continues that way.

Cool, next gen I always liked. It had an adult feel to it, plus something about the way the magazine was printed, the materials used, felt premium.

It absolutely was, and it's one of the reasons I finally decided to start scanning. It's the main publication that I wanted to have digitized.

I've already scanned all the issues and uploaded them unedited so that anyone who wanted to help edit them could assist me in getting it done faster. RetroDefense helped with a few issues and I appreciate that, but I think it's time we got the whole thing done.

I may tie up a few other loose ends first. I'm working the first issue of MacAddict now. Not really a Retromags thing, but I'll be doing a lot of Mac magazines in the future.

Fantastic work Mark :D

BTW guys, any ETA on EGM #9 April 1990? I see its status is in editing.

You can see my Work in progress thread. But I'm a little over half way done editing.ive just been real,busy so haven't been able to devote time. Next week it should be out.

• Like 1

Those issues of Next Generation I just uploaded are pretty interesting. One has an interview with Joe Lieberman on his position against violent video games and the issue after that has an interview from an MIT professor why Lieberman was wrong.

I'm going to take a break for a little bit and work on some issues of MacWEEK, an 11"x14" trade publication that was only sold to Mac professionals and not open to subscription by the general public. I often remember reading stories in open circulation mags like Macworld and MacAddict saying, "MacWEEK reports…" and "in the latest issue of MacWEEK…" and I always wondered, where can I get some MacWEEK? I couldn't because it was controlled circulation. So after all these years I'll finally get into it. I have issues from the very early 90s.

• Like 1

Enjoy the break MarkTrade, you deserve it man.

Thanks! :)

My issues of MacWEEK have yellowed considerably. It may not be worth the effort to try to get rid of it all. They're also very misaligned with the paper edge, but the edges also have wide margins and reader holding the magazine physically doesn't notice it because the paper size is so big, closer to a newspaper than a magazine, but stapled like a weekly. The paper is also thinner, leading to more bleed-thru. I'll figure out what to do with them eventually, but for now I'm playing video games.

I don't bother trying to get rid of yellowing too much nowadays as with some mags (Antic) the yellowing is so bad that it really does make pages look bad when applying high correction levels. They are what they are at the end of the day so people make allowances for it if they are interested in the subject matter......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've done something very unusual for me and already it feels a little strange. I can't believe I'm about to say the words. I've set up a Patreon page.

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2624013

Totally experimental and not necessary for me to do any work. The craziness of the holidays and being so busy elsewhere just got me thinking how much work goes into making scans and how much easier it is these days to help people fund their projects. The conversation around Retromags restricting downloads was also a factor. Lots of different users coming out of the woodwork responding in confused ways, including myself, wondering, "why don't you just host on Internet Archive?" which I already do and, "have you considered setting up a Patreon or something?" which I just assumed to be a no-go because of legal gray areas.

Well, no longer. I'm not selling anything, that much is clear. I'm contributing my resources and labor to a larger enterprise of public interest in history and art, and if others want to help with money, they can. I'll never make a profit and would feel lucky to have even half the burden shared by others. With more direct financial assistance from others I could potentially stay more consistently motivated to keep producing.

Or I could feel weird about the whole thing and shut it down. I don't know.

One thing's for sure, I've invested a lot into scanning and it will be a significant part of my life going forward. It's been my strong belief that game and tech magazine preservation deserves professional attention, and professionals require professional compensation. We're not there yet, not by a long way, but if we get halfway there? That sounds like it would be a nice thing.

Edited by marktrade
  • Like 1

• Retromags Curator

And yet, when Phillyman tries to do something to stop leechers and collect enough money to just pay for the servers, other people (not you), raise a stink, even though he's invested a lot of time and money into this site with no conpensation. But no one is here criticizing you (I am not doing that either). I just don't get people sometimes :)

• Retromags Curator

And yet, when Phillyman tries to do something to stop leechers and collect enough money to just pay for the servers, other people (not you), raise a stink, even though he's invested a lot of time and money into this site with no conpensation. But no one is here criticizing you (I am not doing that either). I just don't get people sometimes :)

I think it is only because no one has see this yet, people raise a stink about everything around here. I am just suprised you got away with changing the logo without complaints that we didnt turn the the A into a Star of David and put a Dashiki on the T. :lol:

• Like 1

It's totally experimental. I don't expect anything to come from it. I don't even know whether it's more appropriate to have a monthly Patreon or to do it "per unit." And what would be an appropriate "unit?" A single magazine? I think that would be asking too much. There was a while when I was releasing magazines in batches of four, so I think that might be appropriate. That would also help even out discrepancies like one magazine having twice as many pages as another.

I've given it a custom URL too:

https://www.patreon.com/marktrade

If things go well it might serve as a model for other scanners. Hopefully we'll be able to learn something from the experience either way.

• Retromags Curator

I think it is only because no one has see this yet, people raise a stink about everything around here. I am just suprised you got away with changing the logo without complaints that we didnt turn the the A into a Star of David and put a Dashiki on the T. :lol:

The logo something never seems get complaints. It's usually opposite, like I made the GamePro Retronaags logo. That was loved!

Anyhow, marktrade, let know how your patreon experiment goes :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally put together an issue of MacWEEK.

https://archive.org/details/MacWEEKVol07Num12

I gave up on looking for an appropriate white point and decided to not apply one at all, so all of the bleed-thru and yellowing is left intact. It still needed considerable straightening, cropping, and edge editing. With a large newspaper-style print like this one they don't even try to get the text aligned with the edge of the page. So that's enough work. If someone wants to edit the white point later to remove the bleed-thru and some of the yellowing, they still can. No big deal. The first and last pages naturally look whiter than the others, though, because they're a different paper stock. The last page ad in this issue looks rather nice.

• Like 1

Issue 35 of Next Generation is up. Issue 34 is coming. I just started editing one before the other on accident.

Also, I've just made the first update to my Patreon page!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/3912800

If you had been a subscribed patron, you would have been asked to pledge $1 for the work I put into these last four issues scanned. I'm still not sure exactly how it works but I believe you would have had the option to opt out even after the update. All the material is publicly visible and still available to everyone anyways. This just gives a merit-based option for someone to help, if they wanted to. If I don't make any updates, then there are no pledges, and if there are pledges then I'll have more incentive to put out more work. :)

Edited by marktrade
  • Like 1