What is a good current one to get?

JoeyBean

• Retromags Curator

It's the only multi platform magazine left in North America, really. There is EGM, but they publish every three or four months, it seems. The only other magazine on newsstands is Offical XBox Magazine. Otherwise there are a few options you can subscribe to via online methods; Nintendo Force and Retro come to mind. You can get a digital or print subscription (or both) from both magazines.

If you have big bucks, you can always subscribe to magazines from England.

I would recommend Retro Magazine. It's sorta like the UK's Retro Gamer, but published in the United States. It's a smaller scale publication, but really good. I get the digital version (mostly cuz I have become addicted to reading mags on tablets, I love being able to carry a huge magazine collection with me!)

• Retromags Curator

Like E-Day said, GI is pretty much it and you get it free with your GameStop Pro membership, so if you buy more than 1-2 games there a year it basically pays for itself.

Retro is your other option, though they've had some delays and staff change-ups in the last few months, and are working to get back on track. And of course, the UK Retro magazine is great but pricey. :)

GameFan is another one that's touch-and-go at the moment. They had a retro section where my brother was an editor for a brief period of time, but I don't think that panned out well for them and he only wrote for one issue. Didn't get paid either, which didn't seem to upset him much but really pisses me off since it was a magazine being sold for money, not given away.

*huggles*
Areala

Ah, if you don't mind either reading digital versions or you don't mind them being a wee bit expensive for paper versions, the books and magazines from Hardcore Gaming 101 are all fantastic. The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures really stands out, and is a HUGE book. All the rest are in more of a magazine format, and are really good as well.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/books.htm