What was the last video game system that you bought?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The most recent systems I have bought are actually not the newest Kids on the block you might say. I went on a bit of a retro console obsession last year. Ended up buying a NES with RGB mod. Simply stunning razor sharp graphics on an Original console. After that I also bought en RGB modded SNES mini/jr. As far as I am concerned the Original hardware with mods is simply the best way to play the games.

Finally, I also bought the nes classic mini. Regular pre order since i detest al the flipping and scalping.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

A bit of a bump, but I just discovered this thread.

Technically, the last console that I bought was the NES Classic, but it remains sealed in the box (in a storage unit, in another province) as I do not currently have a TV with HDMI inputs. 

More practically, my newest console is a PS 2 slim -- purchased new in about 2008. 

I am waiting on a price-drop on the C-64 Mini (they are currently at about Cdn$65 at my local Wal--Mart).

• Like 1

-The Last System i bought was the Nintendo 2DS Blue w Pkm Yellow and Mario Kart 7 (June 2016)  US$45 Ebay

-I was about to skip this generation of consoles but my Cousin gave me a PS4 and a Nintendo Switch as gifts.... 

Edited by Melki

I thought I'd posted in this thread already, but I just checked every page, and it turns out I haven't, so...

The last console I bought was...the PS2 I think?  Either that or the Gamecube - I can't remember which I got first, but neither was bought until a price drop happened.

But the last video game system of any sort I ever bought was a PSP.  It was a terrible decision, not because of the system or the games, but because less than a week later I discovered the PPSP emulator, which would render the games in HD on my monitor and allow me to use a real controller, making for a far superior experience.  So I never actually used the system, and have only ever played PSP games on my computer.

Of course, I almost never play games of any sort anymore (the last time I booted up a game for even a minute was back in July), so I've long since decided that ANY system bought would be money wasted.

• Retromags Curator
On 12/20/2019 at 6:51 PM, kitsunebi77 said:

I thought I'd posted in this thread already, but I just checked every page, and it turns out I haven't, so...

The last console I bought was...the PS2 I think?  Either that or the Gamecube - I can't remember which I got first, but neither was bought until a price drop happened.

But the last video game system of any sort I ever bought was a PSP.  It was a terrible decision, not because of the system or the games, but because less than a week later I discovered the PPSP emulator, which would render the games in HD on my monitor and allow me to use a real controller, making for a far superior experience.  So I never actually used the system, and have only ever played PSP games on my computer.

Of course, I almost never play games of any sort anymore (the last time I booted up a game for even a minute was back in July), so I've long since decided that ANY system bought would be money wasted.

So, I'm curious, did you buy a game or anything else to go along with the system, or just pick up the system without something to play on it? And, if you did buy a game or games with it, what did you pick? :)

*huggles*
Areala

4 hours ago, Areala said:

So, I'm curious, did you buy a game or anything else to go along with the system, or just pick up the system without something to play on it? And, if you did buy a game or games with it, what did you pick? :)

*huggles*
Areala

One of the reasons I bought the system after its lifespan was completely over was because I intended from the start to mod the system and play games saved on a micro SD card.  I had the necessary files and games downloaded and ready to go before I even bought the system.  I ultimately only played a few games this way, since as I said, I soon discovered that PPSP emulation was the superior way of experiencing the games.  That said, I DID purchase the UMD of Disgaea along with the system, though I've never actually played it, even to this day.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, bubblun said:

I recently bought a Neo Geo CDZ and currently building up my library. Difficult to find any vintage American game magazines that covered the games in the 90s.

American magazines typically didn't cover Japanese consoles unless they were slated to eventually be released in the USA.  Which is understandable, I guess.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
18 hours ago, bubblun said:

I recently bought a Neo Geo CDZ and currently building up my library. Difficult to find any vintage American game magazines that covered the games in the 90s.

Your best bet for US coverage on a system like that would be the magazines being published at the time which had an "International Outlook" kind of section like EGM, or else something like Diehard Gamefan, which covered a lot of import titles and consoles that the bigger publications ignored or overlooked. We don't archive Gamefan here, alas, but flipping through some of the '95-97 era EGMs might yield some results. "Next Generation" might be another good place to look, since it seemed they had a pretty good handle on the off-beat stuff too. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought a Wii U a few years ago. Shortly after the Switch was released. I thought with the Switch being released, surely the prices on Wii U would drop right? Nope. I ended up buying a refurbished model directly from Nintendo. Very happy with it as I had a number of Wii games I can still play.

• 1 month later...