VGBounceHouse work-in-progress

VGBounceHouse

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished Video Games Issue 2, October 1982. I’m still working on another, much more recent mag, but I’m going to push forward with more issues of Video Games. While they don’t get a huge number of downloads I’m a fan of the long-form articles and industry insiders who contributed to it throughout its run. I am missing one issue so I won’t be able to mark the whole run complete on my own but I do think it’d be nice to have a nearly complete set available here. I may also take a detour and crank out another issue of Vidiot I have on hand.

This issue has a lot less border yellowing than the last few I released but more prominent bleed. Yes, I use black construction paper 😛 They definitely alternated paper stock throughout the run so I don’t know if this was better preserved or a thinner kind was used for this issue that has aged more uniformly while also being thinner. The issue was also not as tall as surrounding issues...not a huge difference (50px at 600dpi) but might point to a different printer and thus paper.

As usual you can also browse the issue in your browser on my site and grab a PDF with text recognition if that’s your thing.

http://vgpavilion.com/mags/1982/10/vg/pages/

cover-rm.jpg

On 8/20/2019 at 2:41 AM, E-Day said:

Phillyman is supposed to open a ticket with IPB about your problem of needing approval in certain categories today (along with one for kitsunebi77 for his DB problem).

Looks like VGBounceHouse's problem got fixed with this upload.  Not sure if it was the work of @Phillyman or due to the recent software upgrade.  I'm still S.O.L., though.😭

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I know we've discussed this before but I can't seem to find what was agreed upon. When working with foldouts do I trim the width or create a blurred area to cover the portion of the regular page size that is missing? With the back cover of EGM 180 there is an inside flap to cover a 2-page spread and the back cover itself is narrower than the standard page size. These are unedited versions of the pages which include my standard page size template widths:

124-rm.jpg

123a-123b-rm.jpg

Was the rule to just ensure every image was the same height but to crop the widths properly? I don't remember.

Thanks!

(P.S. What are the limits on URL inserted images? I made both of these 480px tall and am pretty sure I'd seen wide images, but the second image here which is 725x480 just shows a broken thumbnail)

Edited by VGBounceHouse

• Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Looks like VGBounceHouse's problem got fixed with this upload.  Not sure if it was the work of @Phillyman or due to the recent software upgrade.  I'm still S.O.L., though.😭

Phillyman found the setting that was causing his problem. He submitted a ticket for your issue, which was apparently fixed today.

So I'm here to vent 😛

I'm working on Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 180, July 2004. I did my normal hair dryer debinding and am having great results like this spread on Viewtiful Joe 2:

060-061-rm.jpg

Full 300dpi here: 060-061.jpg

Then I get to the feature on Driver 3/DRIV3R and they throw this at me:

084-085-rm.jpg

Full 300dpi here: 084-085.jpg

They overprinted making reconstruction impossible. That center frame of the flmstrip is only about half as wide as the others. But the other verticals line up in such as way that pushing the left side further left and the right side further right to have the proper gap space would cause the dude and car that backgrounds the entire spread to be misaligned (as well as pushing the text and header on the left to the edge of the page).

I understand doing layout mindful of gutter printing areas but the right page actually had a full vertical white slice (not enough to properly space a gap) meaning the actual design, or the printing of it, ignored the proper spacing. Arrrggghhh it's infuriating!

I have finished Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 180, July 2004. I've uploaded it here but it's still marked "Not Allowed" so I'm waiting for the go ahead before releasing it.

As always the issue is also available on my site in CBZ and text recognized PDF formats as well as viewable within the browser:

http://vgpavilion.com/mags/2004/07/egm/pages/

cover-rm.jpg

I'll be jumping back over 20 years to do another issue of Video Games next.