(DONE) Top Score! discussion and adding to databse

Sean697

So if you read my work in progress thread you would see that my next scan is the Top Score dated August 1989. This issue follows EGM #1 but is not a numbered EGM. There is one more Top Score! but it is officially numbered as EGM 7. So I was wondering where we would file this when I did some research.

So Steve Harris, an original member of the U.S. National Video Game team started EGM. The soft launch was the 1989 buyers guide followed up with numbered issues after that. But prior to this he did Electronic Game Player. The predecessor to EGM that is more or less identical in format. It only lasted 4 issues as it didn't have good distribution. But was re launched as EGM. Also prior to that Steve Harris had a newsletter (With some of the same elements that would be incorporated into EGM) called Top Score that he started in 1986 and ran till 1987 that was published by the Amusement Players Association and written by the USNVGT. So the Top Score that was published by Sendai really is the last issue dating back to the newsletter of Top Score that he published and distributed himself. The next Top Score was fully incorporated into EGM where it ended.

I found a website that has scans of theses Top Score! newsletters.

http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/

Here is the link to the first issue.

http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/ts-1.htm

Click on Top Score newsletter on the right bar to view them. He has 4 and that may be the only 4 there are. No others are known or documented at this time that I could find.

(Found evidence of at least 1 more Nov/Dec 1987) from a flikr photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38653499@N03/4898029067/

Could we make a new magazine database for Top Score magazine, Listing these 5 issues (Fall 96, Winter 97,July/August 1987, Sept/Oct 1987, Nov/Dec 1987) , plus the august 1989 Top Score. Then I will have a home to put the magazine when I scan it. As far as the EGM #7 Top Score, I don't know if you want to list that as belonging to both databases or just EGM database.

As far as those newsletters, I emailed him and explained what we do here and asked if he could upload these here or we could mirror them for the site. That would be nice as Im pretty sure these are super obscure and you would never find these to scan on our own. I cant even find any ebay listings. If not at least we could have a database for them and some cover photos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator
  • Retromags Curator

I think youe Top Score should go in the EGM section since it's basically an EGM, where a Top Score was issue 7 of EGM. The others on that site are Pre-EGM and seem unrelated apart from the name and the fact that Steve Harris was behind both.

I hate when stuff gets crossed over and stuff. It makes it harder to organize.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I have and scanned #5 for that website, but I guess he never put it up.

The 1989 Top Score should be considered its own Sendai publication that only lasted one issue. Fun fact: there are two variations, one of the print runs duplicated four of the pages.

I wish you contributed to the site more, even with just filling in information like that in the database pages :)

I am not sure if we should create a category for just one issue. Stick it in EGM for now. We can always move it later.

I suggest an "EGM Specials" category to put all of the annuals, EGM 3D, Guide to Summer Games, Guide to Sega Saturn Games, etc. etc. etc., I think the Top Score fits in there.

I think this is a good idea as an EGM sub-category. Similar to the "Supplements" sub. Some other magazines would benefit from some sub-categorization as well - like GamePro's Code Vault issues.

I suggest an "EGM Specials" category to put all of the annuals, EGM 3D, Guide to Summer Games, Guide to Sega Saturn Games, etc. etc. etc., I think the Top Score fits in there.

Ya the editorial actually says this issue of electronic gaming. But it's kind of a side thing. The issue I scanned does not have the duplicate pages.

If you still have that scan of top score 5 (nov/dec) we could use it for the site as it has a database entry and cover attached already. Since you already scanned it. If you don't have time for editing I'd take care of it.

The 1989 Top Score should be considered its own Sendai publication that only lasted one issue. Fun fact: there are two variations, one of the print runs duplicated four of the pages.

That's interesting - I'll have to double check my physical copy. I don't recall duplicate pages but it's been a very long time since I actually read it. :)

Thanks for bringing this newsletter to everyone's attention, Sean697. I wasn't aware of it myself - definitely a "missing magazine" worth preserving. Especially given it's history.

I don't think this is up to RM quality standards, and I don't have my raw scans anymore, but here's the issue I scanned:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgwo6kf8hra36dd/top%20score%20nov_dec%201987.zip?dl=0

There might be a sixth issue too, I'll update if I can confirm.

This is beyond great! This looks like it only needs minor work! I can do this and get it up and credit you on this. It looks good in my reader app on my iPad, just needs minor cropping and straitening. It is after all a mostly B&W newsletter except for the color ad.

Really interesting to see the beggining said of regular EGM features. Like the Quartermann column.