Red Faction: Guerrilla (multiplayer)

Just got this game last friday after being rather pleasantly surprised by the demo version.

While it's certainly not perfect, it is a huge deal of fun, which is what really matters in the end.

I do have one big gripe though.

Been playing a bit of multiplayer these past few days and there seem to be a few omissions that boggle the mind. This is the PS3 version btw.

You can't seem to play all the multiplayer types the way you'd like.

Certain game types can only be played in combination with others, which is called a mixer.

I don't understand why you can't just select a capture the flag gametype and go into a server to just play that.

That being said, the way the servers work is also something I'm not too fond off, or should I say the matchmaking.

You don't get to see a list of games in progress, instead you're thrown into a random configuration where the only way to change something like say, the map you'd like to play in is to veto the selection. Problem is that you'd need half the players to veto as well before you can do anything, which I've never seen happen till this day.

One of my biggest gripes though, is when you've finally played a full game with a bunch of people you like and you'd like to play the same gametype again, on a different or on the same map, well you can't seem to do that.

When I select "next game" I get kicked out of the server and the search for another group starts. :-/

Why can't we just make our own servers with or without custom rules, set the kind of gametype and maps that we'd like and get on with it?

You can create the game you'd like with many different stipulation, lots of options and everything, but the only way to play those games is to get enough people (up to 16) on your friendslist to play at the same time, which isn't a very easy thing to do when more then half of them live on another continent. <_<

If I'm missing something and it is possible to, for instance continue a game with the same people, please let me know what I'm doing wrong here.

It can be so much fun, but these things are very, very annoying.

Unlike say, Crash Commando where you start a server, choose the gametype and levels and play with the people that want to join as long as you'd like.

• 2 months later...