Damn You Arcsoft!

meppi

I was just putting the finishing touches on issue 19 of the Sega Saturn Magazine when I noticed something strange looking about the final JPGS.

They had a whole bunch of weird lines running through them all over the place. Lines that weren't there when I scanned them, nor were there when I edited them.

So I went out to look for where these came from.

I came to the conclusion that Arcsoft has apparently botched up the JPG compression method (and by the first looks of it even the TIFF compression) of their OS X version of Photostudio.

Besides several actions not being recognized by the macro recorder in this version, now this. :angry:

I would use another program but the ones I've tried aren't compatible with my scanner.

So I will need to do all the editing on Photostudio, export them as 40MB TIFF files and then resize and convert them to JPGs in GIMP.

Like it doesn't take long enough already to do all this the normal way.

So instead of releasing a new magazine today, I can throw it all in the garbage and rescan the hole thing yet again as I don't have the original files anymore. FFS....

In the end it might have been for the best.

I've been playing around with Photoshop CS3 for an afternoon now and it's a wonderful application.

Much better than the Photoshop version I first tried a couple of years ago, or what I remember of it anyway.

The clone tool is so much better and more versatile than the one I'm used to.

The rotation tool seems to be just as good if not better than the one in Gimp, and everything does just what it's supposed to do without any hiccups.

Even started playing around Automate Batch function and created an action which takes all my fully edited PSF files, crops them to 1280x1760 ( since it's SSM I'm working on thus the height is like this), adds a saturation of 20 points to make the scans look much more vibrant and colorful, and then saves them as JPG files at a quality of 9 while automatically renaming and numbering them as they should be.

And all this with just one action. I'm impressed. :)

In the end it might have been for the best.

I've been playing around with Photoshop CS3 for an afternoon now and it's a wonderful application.

Much better than the Photoshop version I first tried a couple of years ago, or what I remember of it anyway.

The clone tool is so much better and more versatile than the one I'm used to.

The rotation tool seems to be just as good if not better than the one in Gimp, and everything does just what it's supposed to do without any hiccups.

Even started playing around Automate Batch function and created an action which takes all my fully edited PSF files, crops them to 1280x1760 ( since it's SSM I'm working on thus the height is like this), adds a saturation of 20 points to make the scans look much more vibrant and colorful, and then saves them as JPG files at a quality of 9 while automatically renaming and numbering them as they should be.

And all this with just one action. I'm impressed. :)

Yeah, Photoshop is a great program. :)