Tv For Current Consoles

Hi everyone,

I decided to buy PS3, which needs a proper TV. But this is a kind of unknown territory to me so I was interested in what TV do you have and how satisfied you are with it. I don't need anything overly expensive or enormous, I think I could even get along with a 32 TV. What's your recommendations? Sorry for my English, I'm from the Czech Republic.

Hi everyone,

I decided to buy PS3, which needs a proper TV. But this is a kind of unknown territory to me so I was interested in what TV do you have and how satisfied you are with it. I don't need anything overly expensive or enormous, I think I could even get along with a 32 TV. What's your recommendations? Sorry for my English, I'm from the Czech Republic.

I currently have a 52 inch projection TV that's capable of a maximum resolution of 1080i/720p. I use this for my Wii and my PS3. I'm pretty satisfied with it but if I were to buy a new set I'd get one that's about the same size but is an LCD flat panel that's capable of 1080p, has a 120hz refresh rate (provides smoother motion on screen), and has 4 HDMI ports.

If you think you'd be happy with a 32 inch screen then that's fine but I've read that in order to really take advantage of 1080p resolution you should go with something that's at least 42 inches. Also, you may want to stay away from plasma screens in favor of LCD. I've read that plasma is more susceptible to burn-in, which is a serious consideration when you're planning to use the TV for gaming.

Hi everyone,

I have a 42 inch LCD tv (480 - 1080p), and it works great for the current gen games. But if you go back and say hook up a snes, then it ain't so good anymore. The graphics just don't look right to me. In my opinion, if you are going to just play the PS3, then buy a hdtv. If you are going to use older systems as well, then you might want to use a CRT tv.

• 2 weeks later...
When I finally buy my own HDTV, I'll be picking a 1080P 42" Plasma from either Pioneer of Panasonic.

It'll probably be Panasonic, since the Pioneer sets seem to cost 4 times as much. But you never know.

Panasonic is also my probable choice. One of my friends owns 42" plasma from Panasonic and is very satisfied.

A few months ago we got a 37" Olevia LCD on sale from Target. By the time all of the discounts and taxes were tallied, it came to $670. We are extremely happy with it for gaming, movies, and TV. It's big enough to see well from across the room yet not too big to take over the room.

Also, you may want to stay away from plasma screens in favor of LCD. I've read that plasma is more susceptible to burn-in, which is a serious consideration when you're planning to use the TV for gaming.

That was much more of a problem with earlier plasma screens. They also only had a life of 10000-20000 hours. The newer screens have much longer life-spans and burn-in isn't nearly as much of a problem. But you're right, LCDs are the better choice to avoid burn-in because if you were to leave Pac-Man playing on a plasma for a few weeks straight that would cause a problem.

Most modern games don't have the high contrast, fixed screen content found in classic games — but they still have game info statically displayed in one or all of the four corners of the screen. Because there is less contrast between the info and the background, the burn-in isn't as pronounced as seen on old arcade machines. Modern game burn-in on plasmas often starts as faded/inaccurate colors in the corners and gets worse in time...