Automated detection (Tensorflow) of scanlines, bent corners, etc?

foxhound4lyf

Hey all,

So over the past month I've really upped my scanning game (bought an IX1500 on MigJmz's suggestion and also after lurking the forums better). I'll be posting a thread listing my scans over in the Magazines section soon (lotsa of U.S. PSM!)

I've been trying to be careful about scanlines, bent corners, and other imperfections. But it is time consuming to check each page. I'm up for the effort, but it got me thinking: has anyone tried using any object detection programs to detect defects in scanned images?

I'm going to be dabbling in training a Tensorflow classifier (link to video example) for these things. I think that could really help scanners quickly note which pages they need to set aside for re-scan. So two asks:

- If you have tried this, or know anyone who has, please send advice or point me to those resources so I can contribute! (I very well could have missed the thread on this because I'm bad at searching)

- If this hasn't been tried before, please send me all your scanned images with imperfections! Training classifiers requires a lot of images, and finding images of imperfections online hasn't been very fruitful—especially scanlines/vertical streaks. And if you have the time, create a copy of the image cropped down just to the imperfection and send along both. Otherwise I'll be doing a lot of cropping.

I'm not sure how successful this will be, especially since I've never tried anything with Tensorflow before. But I think this could be a fun project that may also help the community. Let me know if you have ideas, thoughts, questions, or images to send over! 

• Like 3

Congrats on the new scanner. Hopefully we'll see some scans from you. 👍

Editing is indeed the most difficult part of scanning and time consuming. Having of course a good condition mag that was well kept makes editing super easy since it doesn't much tinkering aside from a scratch here or there. Photoshop is essential and the most used program to edit these. Familiarize yourself with the Fill content tool which is mostly used to fill a page corner with solid colors and patterns. It fixes things in a snap. Some pages might need to be manually edited though depending on the art used in corners. Thats where the clone tool is used.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I'll make note and set aside any images that have dust lines going through them before fixing them or rescanning them. I can always purposely put dust on my ADF glass and scan a magazine that way, so that every page has a problem :).

What's save me a bunch of time when it comes to straightening pages  is creating an AutoHotKey script that I run when I use Photoshop. Hitting Shift+z opens up the arbitrary Rotate Image dialog so that I can enter in whatever value I need rather than clicking through Image>Rotate>Arbitrary. I've been editing for so long I can look at my marquee tool and a line on the page that should be straight and be able to get the right rotation value on the first try. Editing ADF scans is far faster than editing a flatbed scan which makes me happy.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...