Atari 2600+ announced. Thoughts?

RetroDefense

Atari is releasing a new retro Atari 2600 system, designated 2600+. I thought it was going to be another plug-and-play mini, loaded with digital games. But no - they're going physical.  Here's the trailer in case you missed it:

And the official Atari shop link:

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus

The fanboy in me loves (loves, LOVES) the idea of physical carts making a comeback, but I'm curious as to other opinions.

Personally, the system is overpriced imo ($130 US) - especially considering it includes only one joystick and no paddles.  New games are $30 each.  Ouch.

I'm not sure the 2600 has all that great of a game library without 3rd parties like Activision, Imagic, Parker Brothers, etc. I hope they can license original games from developers but I imagine several great games may be lost in IP hell.  Compatibility with original carts helps offset this, though.

Speaking of, the original cart "backwards" compatibility is awesome - both 2600 and 7800 - but the system isn't 100% compatible with all original carts, sadly. It's essentially an emulation box so this is to be expected, I suppose, but considering the "simplicity" of the hardware, you'd think 2600/7800 emulation would be 100% by now.

Paddles aren't included but will be available for $40 with a multicart included.  Not bad.  Glad to see paddles haven't been left out of the mix - they almost always draw the short straw.

The joysticks and paddles for this 2600+ are also compatible with original systems - even better.

So I'm stoked for the idea but a bit soured by the pricing and definitely suspect of Atari's commitment - especially if the majority of gamers feel it's overpriced.  Anyone else curious about this thing?

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

I love this idea. I was going to pre-order one but they are only shipping to the US so I am out of luck. This thing might mean that we eventually get an Atari 2600/7800 flash cart that is compatible with this console.

It is a bit pricey, and I can play everything on my MiSTer except the games that require special controllers, but just the look of this thing makes me want it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I recently unearthed my collection of ~150 physical cartridges from my storage unit where they have been languishing since 1998.

I have an original 2600 (several different models, in fact), but nothing that I can easily connect to a modern TV.

As soon as the 2600+ became available on amazon.ca, I placed my pre-order. With tax, it came to Cdn$172.49. There is no delivery charge. 

if the controllers for this thing are fully backwards compatible with the original system, and of a decent build, i might pick up a couple of them. Last time i tried, the good majority of my joysticks were un- or under-responsive. Haven't played my 2600 in probably a decade, so memory may be faulty.