A Visual Of What 1 Trillion Dollars Looks Like!

Phillyman

At this point in my life(even though I'm only 27), $1 million (after taxes) would be enough to live on the rest of my natural life. Sure you couldn't just go throwing money to the wind like celebrities do, but you can live comfortably off the interest of half that ($500,000 times 5% interest $25,000 per year, to give ya an idea I currently live on $900 a month after taxes). And then you'd still have $500,000 to buy a house, a car, and still have plenty to prepay your some of your entertainment/expenses in advance (like cable/satellite, internet, your insurances, etc, etc.)

If you couldn't take a million dollars, budget it, and live comfortably the rest of your life....something is seriously wrong, or you suck at math lol :)

At this point in my life(even though I'm only 27), $1 million (after taxes) would be enough to live on the rest of my natural life. Sure you couldn't just go throwing money to the wind like celebrities do, but you can live comfortably off the interest of half that ($500,000 times 5% interest $25,000 per year, to give ya an idea I currently live on $900 a month after taxes). And then you'd still have $500,000 to buy a house, a car, and still have plenty to prepay your some of your entertainment/expenses in advance (like cable/satellite, internet, your insurances, etc, etc.)

If you couldn't take a million dollars, budget it, and live comfortably the rest of your life....something is seriously wrong, or you suck at math lol :)

Man I would love to be able to get 5% nowadays. Only problem with your estimate is that there are years like this one where you would only get 2.5% at best.

Also please enlighten me on how you are only spending $900 a month. I could learn a thing or two from you :)

If you are single and are lucky to have a decent car paid off then it should be no real problem living on $900 a month (even easier if you are living at home or something, split the bills with room mates things like that).

I guess it all depends on several things.

1. rent (I guess in country states it might be as low as $400/month if you have a roommate)

2. how many miles a month you drive (I drive 600-700 miles a month ~ $50..more if you have a suv or truck)

3. food (probably could get by on $100 a month if frugal)

4. utilities

5. extras (internet, eating out, etc.)

So it might be doable depending on the lifestyle and job situation. Living in CA, I pay $1130/month just on rent for a 1 bedroom!

Whatever the case, it is fun to see what you would do with a million dollars :lol:

1. rent (I guess in country states it might be as low as $400/month if you have a roommate)

2. how many miles a month you drive (I drive 600-700 miles a month ~ $50..more if you have a suv or truck)

4. utilities

So it might be doable depending on the lifestyle and job situation. Living in CA, I pay $1130/month just on rent for a 1 bedroom!

Whatever the case, it is fun to see what you would do with a million dollars :lol:

I live in Arkansas and here you can get a condo in the ritzy parts of most of the classier places for $1130 a month. But as far as a house, that would probably get you a 3 bedroom 2 bath in a fairly decent middle class neighborhood. But here it is a lot slower paced than California (loved living there, just couldn't justify staying after weighing everything).

As far as living on a million dollars. Take half of it and blow it on stuff you will need, a nice car, a nice house, pay up some real nice health insurance and such (maybe even some long term insurance) and other such things that somehow get skimped on.

Take 100K and put that in CD's (certificate of deposit) of at least 1 year in length or longer (you can get some good rates if you go over the $20K investment level with most banks on a year long CD). Buy some long term stocks (Microsoft and Wal-Mart with say, another $50K) and take the remaining, what $350K and peddle it around in various things you want to do (investments, travel etc). That should set you up for quite a few years. Just take the money you receive from your investments and put them back in (like the interest from the CD's put them into another CD or buy more stock).

4. utilities

1 and 4 and internet/cable are all under one banner $410 a month to rent a room out in a gay couple's house (includes, cable, 6MB internet, and all utilities)

No car, so I use public transportation for $40 a month for a monthly pass, unlimited rides

So that leaves me $400-$450 to fiddle around with. Food, eating out, etc. I still dont have a shitton of stuff, I make use of my PC to its maximum(download movies, music, play emulators for games, etc. etc)

Not the way I wanna live, but hey, I got a roof over my head, broadband internet(cable is a bonus, cause I could honestly live without it, as long as I have my PC and internet). It'll do for now.

I got some legal stuff to pay off, then I'm gonna try to get back working aboard a ship of somekind so I can save up some money, and actually own some stuff lol...

That looks very large but you can't really feel the magnitude since it's just an illustration. In 2007 this bust was made in Mexico against a guy who would traffic methamphetamine. They found more than $200 million, 200,000 euros and 157,500 pesos tied to drug trafficking in his home. The guy ran away to the US and is awaiting extradition.

Article Here

There's one pic of the money.

That looks very large but you can't really feel the magnitude since it's just an illustration. In 2007 this bust was made in Mexico against a guy who would traffic methamphetamine. They found more than $200 million, 200,000 euros and 157,500 pesos tied to drug trafficking in his home. The guy ran away to the US and is awaiting extradition.

Article Here

There's one pic of the money.

You know for DAMN sure that every cop on that bust walked away with a little spending money that day....

Oh yeah, we're censored by mod six way from Sunday, with a censored by mod in one hole and a dildo in the mouth....

All we as Americans can do is live our lives, don't bring anymore children into it to suffer the wrath of the stupidity of our generation and the previous generation, and move on....

Now multiply that trillion dollar illustration by 11, and that is how much the US national debt is. You guys are never going to get out of that one. According the the US National Debt clock, it seems to increase by $100k every 2 seconds.

China basically owns us and all our debt. I wonder if they are as nervous about this year as the rest of us.

Oh yeah, we're censored by mod six way from Sunday, with a censored by mod in one hole and a dildo in the mouth....

All we as Americans can do is live our lives, don't bring anymore children into it to suffer the wrath of the stupidity of our generation and the previous generation, and move on....

Only if you make > $250K a year. I might be more concerned if I made that much. As much as I don't like raising taxes on people, I find it hard to believe that most of this mess isn't their fault.

Thank god for Amazon.com! I can buy all my non-necessities tax free. Just saved $35 in taxes buying a 32 GB Ipod Touch 2 Gen there.

• Retromags Curator
Only if you make > $250K a year. I might be more concerned if I made that much. As much as I don't like raising taxes on people, I find it hard to believe that most of this mess isn't their fault.

Thank god for Amazon.com! I can buy all my non-necessities tax free. Just saved $35 in taxes buying a 32 GB Ipod Touch 2 Gen there.

It's people insisting on living beyond their means that has caused problems. Mortgages with no downpayment that they cannot afford, leases on cars, debt for furniture and niceties. I don't mean a little beyond their means, like buying a couch from Leon's and financing it. I mean financing everything or putting everything on credit. Time for everyone to pull back and remember that after you have money left over from the necessities and saving, that that should be your non-essentials budget. People don't seem to save up for things anymore like they used to. Now they just borrow the money.

It's people insisting on living beyond their means that has caused problems. Mortgages with no downpayment that they cannot afford, leases on cars, debt for furniture and niceties. I don't mean a little beyond their means, like buying a couch from Leon's and financing it. I mean financing everything or putting everything on credit. Time for everyone to pull back and remember that after you have money left over from the necessities and saving, that that should be your non-essentials budget. People don't seem to save up for things anymore like they used to. Now they just borrow the money.

That sad thing is that they don't have the math skills to understand they are being raped by the credit card companies with loan shark rates of 20-30%. Paying the minimum balance means your basically paying for life. I have no idea how people with $30K on their credit card ever get out of that. Anyone with that much debt is really lacking something (not including people who used it for emergencies, like health, etc.) It's sad, but at the same time you eventually have to be responsible for yourself.

It doesn't help when the state of CA isn't setting a good example. Out of all this mess, I hope it shows people that you HAVE to live within your means. I blame the leaders of our state for ASSUMING that the tax dollars will always increase every year. They spend like mad and kept hiring up new people up through the end of year. Now they have to shed jobs like crazy and everybody is crying about it. At least this is a time that the state can collect itself together and make some changes for the next few years.

Agreed, I usually buy most of my stuff online. But it's a coming. You know that sooner or later every state will tax online purchases, just like in-store purchases. So enjoy while we can....

Agreed, I usually buy most of my stuff online. But it's a coming. You know that sooner or later every state will tax online purchases, just like in-store purchases. So enjoy while we can....

That is part of the problem as to why they haven't done it yet. They can't really decide on how to tax it, I mean, when you buy something at the store, they have it set up in the registers to charge you the sales tax. There is no real way of them to track your purchases online at the moment.

Another point about it is, most of the debate I have seen about it people can't decide who gets the sales tax, what state? I am in Arkansas, say I buy something from someone in California, which state gets the sales tax? Also, they don't have an easy way of making you pay the taxes for a sale in another state at the moment (could you imagine the paperwork if they required you to file and pay sales tax in each state you make a sale in?).

1 and 4 and internet/cable are all under one banner $410 a month to rent a room out in a gay couple's house (includes, cable, 6MB internet, and all utilities)

No car, so I use public transportation for $40 a month for a monthly pass, unlimited rides

So that leaves me $400-$450 to fiddle around with. Food, eating out, etc. I still dont have a shitton of stuff, I make use of my PC to its maximum(download movies, music, play emulators for games, etc. etc)

Not the way I wanna live, but hey, I got a roof over my head, broadband internet(cable is a bonus, cause I could honestly live without it, as long as I have my PC and internet). It'll do for now.

I got some legal stuff to pay off, then I'm gonna try to get back working aboard a ship of somekind so I can save up some money, and actually own some stuff lol...

Hey nothing wrong with that. My wife and I are trying to start and cut back on much of the luxury spending that we do so as we may be able to pay off our debit. Hell I may end up going back to dial up if it comes down to it. Though I've done that before after having broadband and it's not pretty.

Hey nothing wrong with that. My wife and I are trying to start and cut back on much of the luxury spending that we do so as we may be able to pay off our debit. Hell I may end up going back to dial up if it comes down to it. Though I've done that before after having broadband and it's not pretty.

If you really want to cut back, take a sack lunch to work and don't eat out for an entire month. I imagine most people could easily save $100-200/month doing that. Keep the high speed internet!!!!!!!!!! Trust me, having high speed internet is WAY more important that burgers.

Plus, eating at home is healthier and usually tastes better, but I guess that depends on how good a cook your wife is :)

Eh, keep your internet. I'd say ditch cable/satellite. Anything that you would want to watch, you could watch/download offline anyways....As I said, I probably wouldn't have cable if it wasn't part of my rent...just something I can do without.

Eh, keep your internet. I'd say ditch cable/satellite. Anything that you would want to watch, you could watch/download offline anyways....As I said, I probably wouldn't have cable if it wasn't part of my rent...just something I can do without.

I agree 100%. 99% of shows on TV, OTA and cable, can be downloaded or watched for free using services such as Hulu. Plus, at least torrented shows, are commercial free and most nowadays are crisp 720p. I wouldn't have a TV at all if it wasn't for playing console games (and because my wife refuses to get rid of it...but don't tell her I said so).

The dial up thing isn't pretty but in some cases it is not cheaper. Like where I live, AT&T is the main phone company (if you want DSL, they are the only ones that you can get it from and Cable Internet is not offere but dial up is offered by just about everyone under the sun). At the moment, AT&T is the cheapest of the bunch for home phone and they offer 6 meg a sec DSL for $10 a month so it is either right at the cost of dial up or is less in the case of companies like AOL. Cable Internet where I used to live was outrageous (sure it was 12 meg a second) but it was still $89 a month, way more than I wish to pay for access, that is a home phone and DSL where I live now.

I agree 100%. 99% of shows on TV, OTA and cable, can be downloaded or watched for free using services such as Hulu. Plus, at least torrented shows, are commercial free and most nowadays are crisp 720p. I wouldn't have a TV at all if it wasn't for playing console games (and because my wife refuses to get rid of it...but don't tell her I said so).

Ever since The Shield ended, the only thing I watch with any sort of regularity is sports. There's not a single show on TV other than pro wrestling(which I'm apart of a private tracker so I can get ppvs and episodes within 6-12 hrs after going off the air) that I watch anymore. Television has just gone down the crapper, IMHO.