Building a collection can be expensive...

lspear76

Hello everyone --

I joined this site awhile ago but never posted. Because of Retromags, I got back into collecting old videogame magazines. Seeing these scans brings back so many memories. Because of this I hate retromags and love it at the same time. :) I've gotten a lot of magazines cheap -- Sega Visions, many EGM issues, etc. But, I had to buy some from BillMarioMan and he charges an arm and a leg. He also used to snipe some of the auctions I was about to win and then sold each magazine individually for much more. Because of that I try not to deal with him too much. Thankfully I just scored a very nice collection for a great price. Also, the person I bought the magazines from wants to hook me up with his early Gamefans (92-95) instead of putting them on EBAY. I also just purchased the 1989 Buyer's Guide (EGM issue 0) from a seller for $129, which is more than I ever paid for a magazine, but it was in perfect shape, in plastic, boarded, and incredible. I also wanted to buy it before our man Bill did and tried to sell it for $175 (he's got two at that inflated price).

Anyway, this is just a hello to all of you guys. Love the site.

Expensive isn't always the sum of all it's parts. Being single, working lots of hours, staying out of bars, sharing rides not using cigarettes or drugs and not gambling leaves you with a pile of cash. Some people choose to piss it away on their car and show off at bars, while others like to collect things. I guess it all depends on what you like.

Some of those Ebayers want you to pay off their home for them. If you want something new, Ebay has a good possibility of saving a few nickels but for collectibles, it's the luck of the draw and waiting for someone you know whose selling. Ebay is by the way costly to sell things at and time consuming to run.

• Retromags Curator

Hello everyone --

I joined this site awhile ago but never posted. Because of Retromags, I got back into collecting old videogame magazines. Seeing these scans brings back so many memories. Because of this I hate retromags and love it at the same time. :) I've gotten a lot of magazines cheap -- Sega Visions, many EGM issues, etc. But, I had to buy some from BillMarioMan and he charges an arm and a leg. He also used to snipe some of the auctions I was about to win and then sold each magazine individually for much more. Because of that I try not to deal with him too much. Thankfully I just scored a very nice collection for a great price. Also, the person I bought the magazines from wants to hook me up with his early Gamefans (92-95) instead of putting them on EBAY. I also just purchased the 1989 Buyer's Guide (EGM issue 0) from a seller for $129, which is more than I ever paid for a magazine, but it was in perfect shape, in plastic, boarded, and incredible. I also wanted to buy it before our man Bill did and tried to sell it for $175 (he's got two at that inflated price).

Anyway, this is just a hello to all of you guys. Love the site.

Great to have you here, lspear76! :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 months later...

The best thing to do is to search Ebay and look for lots.  Of course some resellers like Bill (not Kunkel) will probably try and get it too but for the most part, unless the pic is showing an extremely rare issue, they will miss it completely.  I have seen lots of mags (around 30 issues) that contained EGM #2, #4, #9, #14, #88, #98, etc and also some rare #1's but in the pic, they showed the newer issues which were shown in the preview pic.  These lots have gone for as low as $5 with $10 shipping.  Just have patience and you will be able to build quite the collection with minimal expenditure.