Phillyman's Work In Progress...

Phillyman

I do have a Fujitsu Scansnap IX600.  When there is no dust line, it does an excellent job.  But unfortunately most of the time you have to redo your scan.   Most of the time, I do a first pass, keep the good pages and rescan all the bad ones.  Still faster than a flatbed and scanning pages one by one, but the process is a bit annoying.  I was also looking for a second scanner for oversized magazines…. I had the opportunity to buy bogusfrank Epson DS-60000 but UPS completely destroyed it during the transport.  I still need to figure out my alternative for those huge oversized mags.  I’m curious to see how your other scanner behaves. :)

Edited by dablais
  • Like 3

It's an ADF scanner...dust is always going to be a problem.  If you can just pop an entire mag into E-Day's scanner and run it through without once having to wipe down the glass, and every page pops out scan-line-free, then I can only assume it's using software to erase the scan lines using some sort of "content aware fill" to guess what's behind them.

Speaking of which, I can tell you that the Scansnap ix1600 I use (which is the replacement for the ix1500, which was the replacement for the ix500) supposedly DOES have software to automatically remove scan lines, but it's all wishful thinking and marketing hype.  You're still going to have to check your pages every now and then for scan lines, because they WILL appear.  Kiwi uses one of those multi-thousand dollar scanners, and he's still got to clean the glass from time to time just like everybody else.

One day, they'll hopefully release a magic box that we can insert a mag into, press a button, and out will pop perfectly debound, scanned and edited scans ready to be uploaded, but for now it still takes work at every stage of the process. 🙂

• Like 4

• Retromags Curator
18 minutes ago, kitsunebi said:

It's an ADF scanner...dust is always going to be a problem.  If you can just pop an entire mag into E-Day's scanner and run it through without once having to wipe down the glass, and every page pops out scan-line-free, then I can only assume it's using software to erase the scan lines using some sort of "content aware fill" to guess what's behind them.

Speaking of which, I can tell you that the Scansnap ix1600 I use (which is the replacement for the ix1500, which was the replacement for the ix500) supposedly DOES have software to automatically remove scan lines, but it's all wishful thinking and marketing hype.  You're still going to have to check your pages every now and then for scan lines, because they WILL appear.  Kiwi uses one of those multi-thousand dollar scanners, and he's still got to clean the glass from time to time just like everybody else.

One day, they'll hopefully release a magic box that we can insert a mag into, press a button, and out will pop perfectly debound, scanned and edited scans ready to be uploaded, but for now it still takes work at every stage of the process. 🙂

Dude, I use compressed air, a microfiber cloth, and I whisper sweet poems into this scanner and it still throws dust lines on me with no rhyme or reason. All the sudden pages 1-50 scanned fine, 51-60 have scan lines, and then 61 thru 100 are ok again. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't imagine what sort of black magic a printer could work to keep dust away.  It's got nothing to do with the scanner.  You've got dust particles floating in your air, and you've got dust particles on the paper of the pages you're scanning.  Floating dust WILL FIND A WAY to muck up your scans, unless you're doing your scanning in some sort of airless vacuum.  And the ADF basically wipes the dust off of the pages right onto the glass as it's squeezing them through during a scan (and sometimes a page getting squeezed through will pick that dust back up again, which is why you're getting batches of pages with no lines after pages with lines).

I don't want to speak in absolutes, because I could be wrong about anything, but it's definitely my belief that you will never find an ADF scanner that doesn't require frequent wipedowns.  It's not that hard, just stop wasting time trying to scan the entire mag at once.  Scan 20-30 pages, check the last page, front and back, and if they look good, keep going (or wipe the glass anyway for the hell of it.)  Hint: it's much easier to see dustlines on pages with dark backgrounds. Don't bother checking pages that are just light background and text, as you're likely to overlook them.

I forgot to mention another annoying feature of the ix1600 - it will give you a warning light when it detects dust on the glass.  In theory that's great - you'll know when to stop and clean it.  Unfortunately, it only seems to detect giant dust particles and debris, while smaller ones go unnoticed, so you still have to manually check even when the warning light is off.  It would probably be better to do away with the feature entirely since it is only partly functional.  But it looks good when they write it as a "feature" on the box.

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

I've run plenty of magazines through my f-7160 without getting any dust lines. I can scan a bunch of stuff, wiping down the glass between issues and not get dust lines on anything. Another day, I could get dust lines on every magazine I run through it. It comes down to luck. If the magazine has no dust or loose paper fibers you'll be fine. There have been days where I have had to rescan pages a bunch of times because the dust is always showing up. Most of the time though I have no issues.

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

Rescans for @E-Day :)

Computer Games Issue 122 January 2001

image.jpeg

Computer Games Issue 173 April 2005

image.jpeg

Computer Games Issue 158 January 2004

image.jpeg

Computer Games Issue 175 June 2005

image.jpeg

Computer Games Issue 121 December

image.jpeg

Computer Games Issue 139 June 2002

image.jpeg

PC Gamer Issue 113 August 2003

image.jpeg

Games for Windows Issue 7 June 2007

image.jpeg

Games for Windows Issue 1 December 2006

image.jpeg

Games for Windows Issue 15 February 2008

image.jpeg

Pocket Games Issue 4 Fall 2000

image.jpeg

Pocket Games Issue 5 Winter 2001

image.jpeg

Pocket Games Issue 3 Summer 2000

image.jpeg

Pocket Games Issue 11 Spring 2003

image.jpeg

Pocket Games Issue 10 Winter 2003

image.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

Games for Windows 5 is on my spreadsheet of things I have

Games for Windows 6 is already preserved

:)

OK, good.  I misspoke, actually.  I'm scanning all but 5&6 out of the first 17 issues, not 15.  I HAVE 15 issues, so I think that's how the numbers got jumbled in my brain.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dablais said:

I can’t wait to see all those new scans appearing! 😊

Geez dude, what more do you want? 😋 RM has had had multiple releases every day.  Hell, YOU'VE had multiple releases everyday.  I made a joke about it a short while back, but I wasn't kidding - we used to go WEEKS between a single new release.  These are the golden days.  Relax, maybe take some time to read a mag or two.  Lord knows there's not enough time in the day (not my day, anyway) to actually keep up with reading ALL the mags at the rate they're dropping. 😆

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kitsunebi said:

Geez dude, what more do you want? 😋 RM has had had multiple releases every day.  Hell, YOU'VE had multiple releases everyday.  I made a joke about it a short while back, but I wasn't kidding - we used to go WEEKS between a single new release.  These are the golden days.  Relax, maybe take some time to read a mag or two.  Lord knows there's not enough time in the day (not my day, anyway) to actually keep up with reading ALL the mags at the rate they're dropping. 😆

I'm all relax, man, that's exactly the reason why I'm scanning/listening music/reading those magazines...  I'm saying that positively to Phillyman!  ;) I really know how long the process is, so I will be the last one complaining, I'm just very happy to see some progress! :). That's my trick, I do a lot of edit while reading those mags at the same time, finding what's interest me.  Have a good evening, or day, I mean 😅.  And keep up all the good work and sorry for being excited... 

Edited by dablais
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, dablais said:

That's my trick, I do a lot of edit while reading those mags at the same time, finding what's interest me. 

Yeah, I have no idea how you do it.  I realize most of the mags I scan are more pages than everyone else's, but even if I was scanning shorter mags, I couldn't edit 2 per day like you've been doing.  Once I get home from work, my free time is pretty limited - I get maybe an hour before dinner and an hour after.  That's not much time for working on mags, even if I DID want to spend my every available second doing so.  So, however you're managing it, hats off to you.

Phillyman's WIP tells a different story.  This is a man that works in spurts of intensity.  He might go months without so much as farting in the general direction of his scanner, but when he catches the scanning bug, watch out! Or rather, E-Day better watch out! 😂

giphy-ezgif.com-added-text.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I figured out a way to edit in a way to works well for me, but yeah, it took some time.  Right now, I'm able to do a bit more because those are edit from the TheRedEye (so no scanning on my part) also, It's so cold outside so we are stuck inside. 🥶  For now though, I'm off for the night, it's time to play some hockey! :).

Have a good evening and keep on scanning ! 😊

Edited by dablais
  • Like 1

• Retromags Curator
58 minutes ago, kitsunebi said:

Yeah, I have no idea how you do it.  I realize most of the mags I scan are more pages than everyone else's, but even if I was scanning shorter mags, I couldn't edit 2 per day like you've been doing.  Once I get home from work, my free time is pretty limited - I get maybe an hour before dinner and an hour after.  That's not much time for working on mags, even if I DID want to spend my every available second doing so.  So, however you're managing it, hats off to you.

Phillyman's WIP tells a different story.  This is a man that works in spurts of intensity.  He might go months without so much as farting in the general direction of his scanner, but when he catches the scanning bug, watch out! Or rather, E-Day better watch out! 😂

giphy-ezgif.com-added-text.gif

Ha, I also am HORRIBLE about updating this thread. I am still trying to find the energy to go into the MagDB and mark all these as "scanning".

Also, I get the fun part of running the entire backend of this site. SSL cert expires, now I have to go get it installed on the website, seedbox and nas. Oh our seedbox host has a failed drive and they changed our host. Now I got to go fix our dns entries, and redo the FTP sync from the nas.

Never ending :P

But this spurt, this spurt will be the one.

falling-papers-people-are-awesome.gif

• Like 2