Sega Master System

prez

Anyone else think the SMS doesn't get the credit it deserves? Sure, the game library pales in comparison to that of the NES but there are still quite a few gems in the library like:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World: This really should have been the pack-in game. It seems like the kind of game where if you had played it back then, you would have thought it was better than Super Mario Bros., but looking back now, you realize that SMB is better. But it's still a whole lot of fun, and has greatly varied action scenes like the motorcycle, copter, and swimming stages, as well as the rock, paper, scissors matches. It's too bad none of the three sequels on SMS even tried to replicate the greatness of this game. The Genesis version was similar to Miracle World but unfortunately wasn't as good.

Phantasy Star: Arguably not as good as the second and fourth games in the series but it's still a great early console RPG. I think it's as good, if not better, than the original Final Fantasy.

Double Dragon: The SMS version was much better than the one for NES. The graphics were better, the stages were more like the arcade, and there was two-player simultaneous play. It was everything the NES game should have been but wasn't.

Astro Warrior: A Galaga-esque top-down shooter. Lots of fun!

Golden Axe Warrior: The port of the original Golden Axe wasn't very good, but this Zelda ripoff stands out as one of the best games in the SMS library.

The Wonder Boy series: Pretty much the whole series was great, and they kept getting better as it progressed from simple side-scrolling platformer to a deeper adventure game.

Any other Master System fans here?

You forgot many excellent arcade ports like Out Run, After Burner, and R-Type ;)

At the time I bought a SMS instead of an NES because it offered more of what I wanted at the time. I was in my late teens, I didn't want the cutesy family-friendly stuff Nintendo was selling, and I wanted a system better suited to my "adult" tastes.

• Retromags Curator

I love the SMS. I have every game released orpotentially released in North America except for one (James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing). It was the second console my family got. It didn't have the multitude of games the NES had thanks to Nintendo's underhanded monopolistic tactics, but it had a lot of good games to choose from. Ghost House was a good game; Penguin Land was a fantastic puzzler, and Pyscho Fox was also excellent. And, of course, Sonic The Hedgehog :)

• 1 month later...

What about Transbot, Bank Panic, Running Battle, Spider-Man, Alien3, Psychic World,Dynamite Duke, Strider, World Cup Italia '90, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Xenon 2, Forgotten Worlds.... I love SegaMasterSystem, so many arcade ports,many many days of great memories happy felings while playing with friends, ,

Edited by marc

Double Dragon for MS was a pile. Sure it had arcade like layout and 2 player simultaneous play, but that didn't make it a good game. The enemies often scored cheap hits. Collision detection wasnt that great.

Otherwise, I don't find MasterSystem so remarkable, aside from the Sonic game ports it got. It did have PS1, which I never played, and also a port of Rastan. I think Rastan could of possibly saved the system for me if I knew about it as a kid.

• 1 month later...

The Master System was a nice system, but it had one feature that always annoyed me:

The PAUSE button (and the button that was used to bring up necessary submenus in a lot of games)

was NOT on the controller, it was on the system itself -_-

Who's bright idea was THAT? :rolleyes:

Sure, I love to get up, go to the system and press the pause button everytime I need to get to the menu in Alex Kidd in Miracle World. (please note: sarcasm)

• Retromags Curator
The Master System was a nice system, but it had one feature that always annoyed me:

The PAUSE button (and the button that was used to bring up necessary submenus in a lot of games)

was NOT on the controller, it was on the system itself -_-

Who's bright idea was THAT? :rolleyes:

Sure, I love to get up, go to the system and press the pause button everytime I need to get to the menu in Alex Kidd in Miracle World. (please note: sarcasm).

I agree with that. It was annoying, especially when you needed to press it in a hurry and accidentally pressed reset instead. That happened to me many times in Psycho Fox.

• 1 month later...

^ Haha, sweet. The avatar is from Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES. However, I must admit, I doctored it a bit.

After you get a QB Sack and other big plays, you get animated cut scenes. I photoshopped a QB Sack scene with a Player Card Headshot of 49ers Safety, Dave Waymer.

Edited by The Bear

av-8445.jpg

I have no idea what football game that is from but I love that avatar for some reason.

Don't care much for anything sports related myself, but the sweet 8-bit graphics are enough to kickstart my retro gaming heart. ;)

I am not so sure you can keep your RetroGaming card if you can't recognize a retro game giant like Tecmo Super Bowl. I am going to shrug it off to it being doctored up a bit and that is why it threw you!

I remember getting a Genesis and being like WTF is a Master System? Lucky for me they made a Master System adaptor for the Genesis so I could play awesome games like Altered Beast (Looking back I am not sure why I liked that game so much. I can beat it on one life.)

I am not so sure you can keep your RetroGaming card if you can't recognize a retro game giant like Tecmo Super Bowl. I am going to shrug it off to it being doctored up a bit and that is why it threw you!

I'd put it down as never giving a crap about sports games whatsoever and never will.

And I believe my membership of the retrogaming club turned into a platinum card, which can't be revoked once I got to the point of playing videogames for 29 years and having collected quite a nice collection. :P;)

I'd put it down as never giving a crap about sports games whatsoever and never will.

And I believe my membership of the retrogaming club turned into a platinum card, which can't be revoked once I got to the point of playing videogames for 29 years and having collected quite a nice collection. :P;)

LoL. I will take you at your word and not ask for proof on that claim!

P.S. Did you ever use Gamespots gallery option where you tell it what games you have and it tells you how much you have spent over the years? I almost broke down in tears when I saw how much I have spent (or had spent on me) for video games during my lifetime. It was so much it hurt...not bad enough to keep me from buying a PS3..but it did hurt all the same.

LoL. I will take you at your word and not ask for proof on that claim!

P.S. Did you ever use Gamespots gallery option where you tell it what games you have and it tells you how much you have spent over the years? I almost broke down in tears when I saw how much I have spent (or had spent on me) for video games during my lifetime. It was so much it hurt...not bad enough to keep me from buying a PS3..but it did hurt all the same.

I don't have a reason to lie about this. Now that I think about it, I'm probably better of not mentioning too much about it at all for various reasons. (might be better to edit out the details...)

I've never used an online system to catalogue everything, but I do have everything logged into a ods file too keep track of everything.

The last time I calculated how much I spent on everything was probably 5 years ago and I'm better of not doing that again, as it's indeed depressing. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...